- Prep (min) 15
- Cook (min) 1 hr
- Free from
- Dairy (DF)
- Egg (EF)
- Gluten (GF)
- Nuts (NF)
- Peanut (PF)
- Soya (SF)
- Sesame (SeF)
- Shellfish (ShF)
- Fish (FF)
Zombie 'freefrom' Pasta Brains!
Enjoy this simple, spooky supper! Remember to let a grown-up check every packet label for allergens (and traces of allergens) before you start.
3 medium beetroots
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp olive oil (for drizzling) + 4 tbsp extra (for the purée)
2-3 tbsp balsamic vinegar (to taste)
1 handful of fresh basil
Pinch of seasoning
300g Freefrom spaghetti (GF, DF, EF, NT, SF)
6-8 Freefrom sausages (GF, DF, EF, NT, SF)
1. Take one grown-up and put them in charge. Preheat your oven to 190˚C (gas mark 5). Next, wash the beetroot and carefully cut off the stalks (but don't peel them!). Then chop the beetroot in half.
2. Make a foil parcel by folding a large piece of tinfoil in half. Place your beetroot and garlic cloves (unpeeled too) on one half of the sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Now completely seal the parcel by scrunching up the sides.
3. Roast the foil parcel for 1 hour, until you can easily poke a fork through a piece of beetroot, then leave to cool. While roasting, use the oven to cook your Freefrom sausages, following the packet instructions.
4. Once cooled, use a spoon to scrape off the beetroot skins (wear clean washing-up gloves, unless you don't mind beetroot zombie hands too), slip the garlic out of their soft cases and place them all in a blender. Add the balsamic vinegar, 4 tablespoons of olive oil, fresh basil and a pinch of seasoning. Then whizz it up until smooth and set aside.
5. Cook the Freefrom spaghetti following the packet instructions and slice the cooked Freefrom sausages into bite size pieces. Now mix everything together, adding as much beetroot purée as you'd like. Serve your 'zombie brains' in bowls with salad on the side (which may scare some guests more!)
Tip: You can make the beetroot purée ahead of time and store in the fridge for 2-3 days. Leftover beetroot purée? Freeze it or store in the fridge and use as a tasty dip!